The Lord Nelson

On the corner of St James's Lane and Flying Horse Lane, the Lord Nelson was originally a licensed lodging house dating from at east 1805 (Smith 1991).

The original building was destroyed by fire in 1872, but rebuilt and reopened in 1881.

It was still a lodging house, with 23 beds, in 1923, when renewal of the license was opposed on the basis that there were at least 8 other establishments, excluding those in the Market Square, within 137 yards.

The closure would have left the workmen who lodged there without anywhere to live, so the license was renewed and, despite all the other buildings in the area being demolished, the Lord Nelson is still in operation (2007) as a Shepherd Neame house.

wpe89403.gif (1055149 bytes)

The picture on the left shows the Lord Nelson in what was Dover's last remaining cobbled street - Dolphin Lane - which ran from Russell Street to St James' Street.  On the left is the wall of Leney's old Phoenix Brewery, long since demolished; on the right the River Dour.  The red-brick building to the right of the pub is the old Labour Exchange, with its front entrance in King Street and side entrance in Flying Horse Lane.

The picture on the right shows the same view some years later - the remains of the brewery have been swept away to be replaced by a multi-story car park and the road widened and paved.  The building behind the pub is being demolished and the tower of the Dover Stage Hotel can be seen clearly through the tree.

The pictures below were taken in 1983.

wpe77564.gif (728253 bytes)

Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard

Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard