Back ...

Dover Stage Hotel


(Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard)

(Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard)

The Dover Stage Hotel stood between Townwall Street and Camden Crescent, overlooking the Granville Gardens.

Built by brewers Watney, Combe and Reid in 1956-7 the license was transferred from the Trocadero Bars on 23rd May 1957 (Smith, 1991).  Ownership passed to Grand Metropole in 1971, Haven Inns in 1972 and Queens Moat in 1982, finally passing to Ian Whittaker that same year.  The pictures above show the house as it looked in 1983.

The small size of the hotel led to its demise in 1988; the owners applied for planning permission in June of that year to demolish the hotel and build a block of flats.  Permission was granted in July and demolition commenced in October 1988.

The flats were never built and the site is now a Council-owned pay-and-display car park.


Information on this page taken from Smith (1991)