Back ...

Red Cow





(awaiting picture)

The Red Cow was at no. 1 Folkestone Road, on the corner of Priory Place.  The original building stood back from the road with a yard, long before buildings began to appear in Folkestone Road in 1843.  In 1791 the landlord was Thomas Starr and in 1805 a character known as "Mighty Merit" ran the house.

In 1810 a piece of meadow land nearby was purchased to form Priory Street, connecting Folkestone Road to Biggin Street.

When Priory Place was widened in 1895, the pub was rebuilt nearer the road, with a garage and livery stables next door.

Closed in June 1971, it was demolished in October that year to make way for the new York Street dual-carriageway.