Pub Index

Hare and Hounds


(Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard)


Standing at the very edge of town on the road to Folkestone, the Hare and Hounds at Maxton was originally a beer-house and dates from before 1854.  It was one of the last beer-houses in the town to become a public house.

A small pub with a skittle alley in the rear garden, this was for many years a Fremlins house; later Whitbread; latterly Shepherd Neame.

Another with this title once traded from the Market Square and that later became "The Walmer Castle".

It closed in February 2008 with almost no notice; the windows were boarded up and the signs taken down.


Information on this page taken from Smith (1991)