Diamond Hotel


Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard


The Diamond Hotel stands on the lower side of Heathfield Avenue.  The picture above was taken in 1983.

E. Dawes and Sons were apparently faced by an obliging Bench when they asked for a licence in 1896. It was for a house they intended building here. As a sweetener they offered to surrender the "Grand Shaft Inn" and under those circum­stances any opposition must have melted.

At that time Dawes and Sons ran the Diamond Brewery at Maxton where their KK ale was supplied to the public at one shilling per gallon. The pub obviously perpetuates the name.

W. Baker the first licensee and a Whitbread-Fremlin house serving us to-day. (Smith 1991)