The Castle

Originally known as the White Hart, this house was in business long before Russell Street was built in 1838.  The interior was destroyed by a fire on 13th August 1891 when the licensee's mother accidentally overturned a paraffin lamp.  It was restored and reopened in 1898.

Closed by enemy action on 5th June 1942, it was reopened on 5th June 1950.

wpe19681.gif (782355 bytes)

When this picture (left) was taken in the early 1970s, the buildings of the old brewery could be seen to the left behind the pub.  These were used as car repair workshops by Martin Walter.

  The pictures below were taken in 1983.

(Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard)

(Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard)