The Carriers Arms

(Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard)

(Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard)

The Carriers Arms at 12 West Street was operating as a beerhouse before 1871.  It closed for a while during World War II, but re-opened shortly afterwards.  The pictures above show the house as it looked in 1983.

With 5 other pubs within 5 minutes walking distance it is amazing that the Carriers Arms survived until 1st October 1988, when brewers Fremlin's decided to close it.

After extensive alteration and renovation it re-opened as the Battle of Britain on 6th July 1991.

It has now reverted to the original name.