Back ...

The Bull Inn

 (Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard)

(Picture Courtesy of Eddie Chard)

The Bull at 168 London Road dates from at least 1791, when it was kept by John Smith.  From 1876 to 1900, this was one of the houses that opened at 5 a.m.

There were once several cottages between the pub and the Buckland Bridge, but these were removed to widen the bridge in 1938.

Damaged in World War II, it was repaired with several other pubs in the town in 1949.

The pictures above show the pub as it looked in 1983.

The sign bears two wise sayings on either side (below).