Knights Templar Church



The remains of the 12th century Knights Templar Round Church on the Western Heights next to Citadel Road.  They were discovered during the construction of the fortifications in 1806.  The church was modelled on the Knights Templar headquarters on Temple Mount in Jerusalem.

There is a dispute as to whether it was here, or at Temple Ewell, that King John made his submission to the Papal Legate, Pandulph, on 15th May 1213.

Originally known as the Poor Knights of Christ and the Temple of Solomon, the Order originated in Jerusalem in 1118 A.D.  A group of nine Knights, mostly French, vowed to protect pilgrims on the roads to Jerusalem.