Snargate Street Wesleyan Chapel



(Awaiting Pictures)



"The 3rd of June, 1834, was a grand day in Snargate Street, when the foundation stone of the Wesleyan chapel was laid.  The Wesleyans were then the pioneers of Evangelical Christianity.  This was their third chapel in Dover, their first having been in the Pier, and their second at Buckland.  The move to Snargate Street from the Pier was the most important step the Wesleyans had taken since their establishment in Dover, the dense and decorous crowd which assembled, to witness the stone-laying, being in striking contrast with the howling mob who surrounded Charles Wesley, when he preached in Biggin Street, 74 years earlier.  On the site of the new chapel were assembled 300 Sunday School children.  There were 1000 other spectators admitted to the site by tickets, and hundreds more crowded the surrounding cliffs, windows and housetops.  Three hymns, composed specially for the occasion, were sung, accompanied (the report says) by instrumental music, which was not then a common thing with the Wesleyans.  In the foundation stone was placed an iron box containing coins of the reigns of George III., George IV., and of his then reigning Majesty, William IV.; also a copper plate engraved with John Wesley's motto, "The best of all is, God is with us," together with a parchment, inscribed with the date of the stone-laying and the name of Mr. White, who had been more than fifty years a member of the Dover Wesleyan Society, who laid the stone.  The benediction was pronounced by the Rev. J. Roberts, late missionary at Ceylon; after which the whole company sang, "God save the King."  The chapel was opened for worship on the 3rd October, in the same year.(J.B.J. 1907)

1907 Insurance Map courtesy of Dover Public Library

  This chapel stood, until closure in 1962, next to the entrance to the Grand Shaft.