Index

St Barnabas Church


 

Temporary picture

  St Barnabas Church and Parish Hall stood at the junction of Cherry Tree Avenue and Barton Road - an area now used as a playing field by Barton Road Primary School.

"The remaining portion of Barton Meadow, up to Cherry Tree Avenue, is occupied by St. Barnabas Church and Parish Hall.  The latter, which stands next to the schools, is a long building of corrugated iron, on a brick foundation, used for the Sunday School and parish meetings.  The church was commenced in the year 1901, the memorial stone, in front of the chancel, being laid by Mr. Robert Hesketh Jones, J.P., on the 9th of October in that year, the plans having been drawn by Mr. B. Ingelow, architect, and the building, so far as the permanent part has been carried out, was done by Mr. P. W. Paramour, of Dover.  The portion that was built is the chancel, the sanctuary, part of the north aisle, and the first bay of the nave, giving a depth of 48ft. and a width of 21ft.  The cost of the permanent work was 6130 4s. 7d., and when the church opened for worship, in the following year, about 3000 of that was left as a debt, towards which about 1000 has since been raised.  The original fund by which this church was built was 1800 from the Marriott Bequest and 1200 raised by subscriptions.  The charge of the new ecclesiastical district was accepted by the Rev. C. H. Golding-Bird, M.A., and the congregations he attracted soon rendered necessary an enlargement, which was effected by erecting a corrugated annexe, where it is intended to build a permanent nave.  The style of the building is Early English, and, when completed, is intended to consist of a chancel, sanctuary, south chapel, nave, north and south aisles, and a square tower at the western end.  The portions completed indicate that the architect has correctly caught the spirit of the Early English period, and that the complete structure, when it is provided, will have a fine appearance, notwithstanding its low situation.  Early in 1907 the Rev. Golding Bird was appointed Dean of the Falkland Islands, and the Rev. E. J. Hampson, Curate of Holy Trinity, Folkestone, was appointed Vicar of St Barnabas."   (J.B.J. 1907)