The Queen's Hall
The map, part of one of a series of Insurance Maps, produced in 1905 and updated in the 1920s, shows the cinema in Queen Street, on the corner of Last Lane.
The Queen's Hall opened on 26th December 1909. It was built in 1705 as a Methodist chapel and re-built in 1814. It ceased to be used as a chapel in the early 1900s and was by Electric Pictures (Dover) Ltd. for conversion into a picture palace.
The original side galleries and rear (organ) gallery were retained and the screen was placed behind where the altar would have stood, giving a total seating capacity of 450.
After the cinema closed in 1933, the building was used as an army boot
repair shop before being acquired by the local firm of Took, leather
merchants. It's last incarnation (some time before 1969) was as an amusement arcade before
being demolished for re-development in 1974. The site is still vacant.